Friday, March 17, 2006

The two sides of the issue

Well, here are the two sides of the issue, one suggesting we need to get ready, the other suggesting everyone seems to be over reacting.

I'd sure be happy if Marc Seigel is right. He seems the only writer on this topic who takes this view of it. I agree with him that people should not panic about eating chicken. In fact, if that brings the price down here on chicken breast, I'll stock up my freezer at the sale price.

I don't like the way Seigel understates the arrival of bird flu here. No one now doubts that the bird to bird version will come. He should not suggest it might not.

And on the issue of whether it will mutate or not and then whether that mutation would be a killer of humans or not. Who knows?

I'm getting ready just in case. But I feel less panic everyday because I get closer to where I have done what I could to increase my odds. Then it is all how the virus cards flop, turn and river.

Panic is rather a waste of energy.

I sure don't see anyone I know overreacting. Where in America is this panic I keep hearing about? I think people are underreacting. And ignoring. Most are just too busy for bird flu at least until it really mutates and becomes something. Well, I can appreciate that.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WNT/AvianFlu/story?id=1724801&page=1

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/03/17/the_cost_of_bird_flu_hysteria/

And a discussion that seeks to balance a little:

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/birdflu/

No comments: