Friday, March 03, 2006

Thoughts 3-3-06

COUNTERINTUITIVE NEWS

One thing I’d like to include here are those facts that just seem at first to run counter to our basic understanding of flu.

One the most surprising to me is that I’m not in the highest risk group. Usually for flu I am. In this case the high risk victims are children and young adults. It seems that their good immune systems cause a huge immune response to the flu and it is the immune response that kills them, often by destroying their lungs.

This explains while 90% of young people who contract H5N1 die, while overall only 55% of people die.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/bird-flu-young-at-most-risk/2006/03/01/1141191732196.html


RESOURCES

There are two good links to news that I have been skimming in order to follow this epidemic. They are in the permanent links of this Blog, over to the right under links. From there you can find most of the major news reports. Google also put me on an update list and sends me an Emil when there is a new story in Google on the flu.

PREPARATION

We are just planning on hunkering down here on the lake and limit human contact from the time a pandemic starts until a vaccine is produced and available to us common folk. We know the government already has plans to prioritize distribution, going first to health care workers, emergency police fire etc, and undertakers. I am sure rich folks will get theirs early. Predictions for vaccine or cures are anywhere from a few months to a few years. It will all depend on how fast the evolved virus could be identified and the stuff mass produced. And there may be new technology coming to play also. there is speculation chemotherapy might work to keep some people alive and there are some genetic approaches. Some people, including my doctor friend, are stockpiling Tamiflu for their families. I really don’t have a source, but I don’t read that it is very effective anyway. In normal flu it does not cure anything, just reduces symptoms for a few days. Would that be enough to keep people alive??

MASKS:
I am preparing to buy masks for us here. I don’t yet know how to do that intelligently, but I’m learning. Some places say they should be fitted. There is also some standard set for people who work with chickens:

NIOSH N95 standard recommended by the WHO for healthcare workers treating Bird Flu.

This is one site I liked, but I want a lot more information before I buy. And still I am anxious about waiting too long.
http://www.domesticfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=257

It is like buying a camera or a bread machine or microwave or fishing reel. There are so many choices I can’t sort them out. And I want to be right the first time on the mask purchase. If it doesn’t do the job, I won’t have too much chance for a second try.

FOOD: I’ll be stockpiling food because we will hunker in here at the lake and reduce our exposure to groups if the H5N1 evolves. I don’t know what yet. Beans and rice my doctor friend recommends. I already have plenty of whiskey (see the story on the other Blog) but somehow that is not on the top of my list. Kim Chee was thought by some Asians to help their birds. Canned goods on sale is where I start. And lots of pasta.

BREAD MACHINE? I’ve been wanting a bread machine to make my own bread here as that is what takes me out most to the store. This would tip me to invest in one if I could figure out how to wade through all the choices. Like masks, I don’t know a good one from a bad one. Any thoughts?

A GENERATOR:

I am going to have one installed here at the lake anyway. After that last ice storm that had some of our family from Saratoga staying here because they had no heat or water I just decided to bite the bullet, borrow the money, built the platform and get one installed that kicks in automatically when the power goes out and does most of the house. Runs on propane.

A GUN?

I do know someone who thought social structure might break down far enough that there would not be social order. I find that hard to believe, but I’ve been thinking about hunting rabbit anyway, so maybe a 22 just to scare away any rowdy folks.

STOP FEEDING BIRDS:

I guess we will stop feeding birds when the H5N1 hits the US shore depending on how it looks (it is just 60- miles away now, last outbreaks were in Bermuda) Can’t see inviting them on to the deck. Sad about it because we watch birds every morning. No one seems to even know how it is spreading so fast or be able to predict where it will burst out next, so once it is on the shore there is danger.

STOP EATING CHICKEN AND EGGS:

I am not getting the sense I need to do that. I’ll probably do the opposite and stock up on freezer chicken once the price drops. I may think about eggs. And I’ll watch my handling procedures and use plastic gloves.


Please comment and add your own thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is good to be aware and prepared on this. It may not happen, but there is not much down side to prep.

The mormons stock pile food in a big way. The trick is to eat what you stock pile and replace in rotation.

I have also thought about a generator and masks. The generator is good for other reasons. Maybe we can get a group discount when you hone in on the best mask deal.

Anonymous said...

Terrorists may soon start throwing chickens out of airplanes.