Monday, March 06, 2006

Generator thoughts

Until today we had planned on getting what we thought was the state of the art generator, one that would ake over all the electrical needs of the house if the power went out, going on automatically and run by propane.

Well, we have changed our minds because we don't feel we can count on the propane.

The distributor said he would install small tanks of propane that would last 2-3 days. This isn't much good if we are in Vegas and the power went out in any major way, because the propane guy also needs the power to pump the propane into his truck and then deliver it.

For about 3 grand I can have a huge propane tank sunk in the yard, so that would bring the cost of the generator to around 7 grand.

A five gallon can of gas will run a gas generator for about 24 hours. True, someone has to be home, but for the difference in price, I can hire someone to start it up in an emergency until one of us gets home.

And in a shortage of fuel I sure feel like I can take my car and find some gasoline a lot easier than begging someone to bring me some propane.

We are still thinking. But the cheapest and the best I think is to go with the gas, noisy as that might be. In a pandemic breakdown of services, it seems the simplest. In a winter power outage like the one last month, it seems a very reasonable solution.

No comments: