Thursday, March 09, 2006

House Generator Thoughts

We are going to get a house generator. We were leaning toward a whole house generator that goes on automatically when we are away traveling. It runs on propane. The propane company will not place more than one tank for an emergency generator so that is just a few days of supply. Not really enough to feel safe continuing to travel if we heard of a power outage. Of course, they will come and refill it so most times it would be fine.

In pandemic, however, perhaps they would not refill. Then I am stuck looking for propane.

I can put a huge underground tank in, but then the cost of all of it is really huge, more than we want to spend.

Alternatively, I can get an much less expensive gas generator and pay less for installation. A 5 gallon can of gas lasts a day. I have to be here and turn it on, so for traveling I have to do that or find someone to do it for me.

In pandemic it seems a better choice because I feel more confident that I can find gasoline myself than I can find propane and while I probably don't want to store a lot of gas, three vehicles kept full of gas could be siphoned in emergency until gas was available.

Then also we could try it and see how it worked for travel too. If we still felt vulnerable for non pandemic or big emergency times, when we were traveling and the power went off, we could get a propane system later and have both systems. Maybe we would buy the propane generator at the same time as a new propane kitchen stove and in that way convince the propane guy to put in more than one tank.

Okay, what do you think?

I am leaning toward the second choice.

No comments: