Thursday, November 02, 2006

Lake log October 30, 2006




We woke up to the first snow of the season. I know many of you, having just endured that Buffalo area storm perhaps can't celebrate with us, but it certainly was stunningly beautiful to greet sunise frosted in over an inch of white.

The fish have stopped biting off the dock. If I want to catch them, I have to look for perch and pretend to be fishing through the ice.

***********************



On Halloween we had one trick or treater whose dad decided to walk the length of our dark street and to our lighted house. We had debated buying any candy, but I was glad I had the bag of Reeses's peanut butter cup.

Jacob was 5 or 6 at most and was very talkative and opinionated. With his round glasses he looked just like a miniature version of that kid who gets the Red Ryder B-B gun in the old Jean Shepard You'll-shoot=your-eye-out story.

"Who do we have here?" Elizabeth asked.
"I want you to guess." Jacob responded.
" I guess you are Harry Potter."
"No." responded Jacob, "I am Jacob disguised as Harry Potter."

So much for confusing objective and subjective reality.

I fished out a couple peanut butter cups, dropped it in his plastic pumpkin, and decided to add a fine local apple I had just bought that day. I showed it to Jacob's dad, so he would know that it was safe and would not just toss it away.

"An apple is NOT a treat!" asserted Jacob Harry Potter, and he buzzed me with his magic wand to punctuate this truth.

"Well, I did also put in the two peanut butter cups," I explained.

His outrage was appeased.

*********************
Tomorrow we are going up to Yarmouth, Maine. Elizabeth has a conference, and I am tagging along. With my cold almost completely gone I suspect it will be a delightful journey.



As you walk into winter,
Enjoy!

No comments: